Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Own Your Category & Be The Best At What You Do

On the web especially, but really in any part of the entertainment business it's crucial to try and aim to be the best at what you do and own your category if you possibility can. You might not get there at first, but it's best to aim high. There's so much noise on the web and so many outlets for people to get information and entertainment offline and online, that if you don't keep people interested and provide something valuable people will move on and do it quickly. Here are three people who I think own their category and are the very best at what they do on the web:

Whitney Matheson/Pop Candy Blog @ USA Today - I've been severely addicted to this blog ever since I started reading it. Whitney has her finger right on the pulse of all things pop culture and she never fails to share entertaining and informative stuff about television, comics, music, movies and more. Back when I was working in content/programming at Netscape tracking and sharing trends in movies and other parts of the arts, she was an invaluable resource to find out about new stuff and to make sure I was on the right track about what I was following. There are PLENTY of pop culture blogs on the web, but for my money, not one of them even comes close to Pop Candy.

Dooce Blog/Heather Armstrong
- This blog is in my opinion the best personal blog that currently exists on the web in terms of content and execution. I only started reading it in the last couple of years, but I know it's been popular for quite some time. What makes this blog great is that you don't have to relate to every topic she writes about to enjoy it. She often writes about her ADORABLE and hilarious 5 year old named Leta and her current pregnancy. I don't have kids or necessarily even plan to have them, but her writing is so personal and full of such wit and humor, it's irrelevant. She also takes truly amazing pictures of her dogs and various other things. In my dreams, I aim to be as witty as she is in my writing (not on this blog, but with my other things I work on), so she serves as a constant source of inspiration to work harder. She recently wrote a book that I ordered and am planning to read it right when it arrives. In a related note, one fan of Dooce who has a blog that I recently started reading when I discovered her on twitter is Karyn Murphy. She's a producer and was Ashton Kutcher's assistant, but she's also a great writer. She was able to take inspiration from the blog she loved and mix in her own snarky sense of humor and write a blog that truly makes me laugh out loud. She did what I suggested in that she found her own angle and perspective on the world and is on her way to leading her category of best blog about not wanting to have kids! Please take time to read both blogs, I promise it will be the highlight of your day. Both women are on Twitter, so if you want to follow Heather, click here or Karen click here.

I'm aiming to own my category and do my best with this blog. I've been a personal assistant (and aspiring writer) for many years and had not seen someone really sharing great tips and all it takes to be a fantastic and creative personal assistant, so I'm trying to fill that niche and be the best at what I do. I might not be there yet, but I'm giving it my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment