Friday, April 17, 2009

Getting Out Of Your Own Way By Getting Over Fear

This post is having some weird font issue. Sorry about that.


One key thing to do in order to thrive and be creative is to get of out of your own way. A good way to do this is to try and let go of the fear that holds most of us back. Now anyone who knows me will tell you that I still have more work to do this area (truthfully we all do), but any work you can do to chip away at your fear will help. Late last year, a good friend of mine convinced me I could write a spec episode of How I Met Your Mother after I told him jokingly that I had an idea for the show. I immediately went into fear mode and said no way and how I've only ever written feature scripts. I went on and on about not having an ear for tv even though I love it (esp How I Met Your Mother). Even once I agreed to write it and have this friend help me, I complained and wanted to quit for the first few weeks because I was scared and it was hard. That spec is finished now and I'm so glad I got out of my own way. Lots of people think it might be the best thing I've ever written. It might even be the thing that will get me a manager and allow me to break through if I write another, but it never would have happened if I hadn't faced my fear and moved past it.

This video of entrepreneur and author Tim Ferriss is all about forcing yourself to face your fears head on and how much it can bring to your life if you do. It's not that long and I really think it's a valuable thing to watch. It will make you fundamentally rethink how to behave when you are afraid. Tim's best known for his book the 4 Hour Work Week, if you want to check it out. He also has a blog.


Watch the video and then force yourself to do something creative that scares you over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment