Sunday, October 11, 2009

Be A Sponge

One of the best things you can do as an assistant (or really in any position) is to constantly be curious about the work you do and try to learn how you can do it more effectively. I'm sure any anyone that reads this blog does it to learn how to be better at their job, a better gift giver, etc. In life, staying static and thinking that you know enough already = death for your career and your life being interesting. I read last year about a book I wish I had when I started as an assistant in this business called The Hollywood Assistants Handbook.
One of the authors is actually a writer on Grey's Anatomy, so he worked hard and actually made the leap others dream about. The handbook seems like a great tool and if you can keep searching out resources like this and keep learning -- it will benefit you now and in the future. I'm still trying to make my dream of being a writer come true, but even when I do, I intend to stay curious and seek out ways to be better at that as well.

1 comment:

  1. My first week as an assistant, I took my bosses car in for a wash. I was in Santa Monica and they have a books/gift section. Lo and behold, this book was sitting there, the first week of it's release.

    It's a great tool, I bought it then and I think it's time to go back and review it.

    Good stuff. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete